Skip to main content

August 31, 2026 newsletter

 


We are incredibly grateful to our local Ayer Police Station, along with the Shirley Police Station and the Rotary Club for kickstarting our month-long food drive. I don't have a final total yet, because there is technically one more day left, but I will estimate that we received around 140 grocery bags full of food, through the generosity of our community of big-hearted donors, along with those organizations I listed and the Shop n' Save grocery store. Thank you thank you thank you to all of you who helped us get ready for the fall!

And just like that, the kids are back in school and August is over. Garden season is not over yet though...not by a longshot...and Rachel K is busy gleaning around town where people call her for help. Don't miss the story in One Small Thing below! Other things that are not over include all of the tasks that are done for the sake of our community each and every week of the year: Pauline picks up bread. Nicole, Rich, and Alison pick up produce and from AllTown Fresh. Becky and Rick pick up from the bin at the grocery store. Dan and Bob pick up from the food bank. John picks up our cardboard for recycling. Laurie picks up our plastic for recycling and drops off the cookies from all our wonderful bakers. The Wednesday crew sorts, shelves, and packs. The pantry and coffee crew set up, distribute, engage with, encourage, and clean up every Saturday. Same goes for Friday dinner.

If we expand that list out to all of you who donate money and food on a regular basis, whether it's canned goods or items from your gardens, our basketful of gratitude swells to overflowing. Thank you all!


* * * * *
One Small Thing
Our friend Patrick H sent this message and picture:
As any gardener will tell you, this year is one of those abundant years where we get to share that abundance. My pear tree was no exception. But when done with my own harvest I looked at a tree still full of pears so what to do. That’s when I emailed Rachel, our SSK Gleaner and we arranged a time to come over. She showed up with many bags, and using an extension pruner I loaned her, she then carefully removed all the remaining pears and even took the rotting ones on the ground saying that her chickens would like that. I told her I felt the tree was happy about it and she responded, “Well, I said a little prayer before I began." If you need help, I highly recommend.
* * * * *


If you'd like to shop for us this week, we are still in need of snack foods and coffee. Pudding cups, boxes of crackers, peanut butter or cheese crackers and granola bars, and one pound cans or packages of coffee are on our wish list this week. We can take drop-offs at the pantry (through the gray door next to the parking lot on Cambridge Street) only on Wednesdays from 10 to noon, Fridays from 4 to 5, and Saturdays only from 9 to 10. Please do not leave food at the door outside of these hours. The bin is available to drop off SHELF-STABLE FOODS ONLY at Shop n' Save if those times don't suit. If you have FRESH PRODUCE, please contact us so we can make arrangements. Please don't leave it in the S n' S bin! Please also leave a note in the bag with your name so we know whom to thank when you do drop off food at the store! We are located at 21 Washington Street, Suite C, Ayer MA 01432

Enjoy another beautiful week, and I love you all!

Comments