Skip to main content

September 9, 2024 newsletter

 


Ahhhh...the crisp cool mornings of (almost) Autumn! It makes me so happy, all except for the dwindling daylight hours. But you can't have everything, and I love Autumn. Before I launch into the meat of what happened this week, you are all invited to come join me at Pirone Park in Ayer this Friday September 13, at around 7:00ish pm. At 7:15, the movie ET is going to be shown on a big screen! Bring a chair and a thermos full of something hot or cold, depending upon whether the forecasters are right about the weather. Also bring some cans if you'd like...they are taking up a collection for us at SSK.

We had a really rough week, but one in which we saw God's provision in ways we could never have anticipated. A large amount of food we had purchased had to be thrown out. It was devastating and obviously unexpected. We work so hard towards being zero-waste. And then later that day, we were turned down for one of the grants I wrote this summer. Double shot. But then...

The next day, an anonymous donation came in for $50 less than what we had just lost. So, about that extra $50? Several friends, some who knew what had happened but also a couple who didn't, showed up with donations of more than enough to make up the difference. I would very much like to thank the person who made the monetary donation, because I got to thank the others in person. Not knowing who it was, I hope they are on this mailing list and see this story. You have no idea just how much we appreciated your generosity at exactly the right time. And to all the people who helped clear out the ruined food and who brought in new packages to replace it, I hope you know how much I appreciate you. God is good, and I cried afterward. A lot.

Another beautiful story from this past week is that our friend Kyndra L, who owns West Main Thrift, provided clothing that one of our unhoused friends needed. Winter is coming, and the race is on to try to get him into an apartment or room, and although he offered to buy the clothing, we wanted him to be able to save all of his funds towards housing. I have nothing but praise for the team that is helping with everything that he needs: Alicia, Brittany, and Katie (all from the Town of Ayer), and Alison + Rich, who take him to doctor's appointments. And Kyndra, who keeps him clothed 💕

If you can shop for us this week, we will gratefully take any food items from our full list that you might find on sale! If you need the list, please let me know. We'll be at the pantry on Wednesday from 10 to noon, Friday from 4 to 5:30 (and at the park at 7:15pm!), and Saturday from 9 to noon for drop-offs. And the bin is always available at Shop n' Save if those times don't suit. Please leave a note in the bag with your name so we know whom to thank!

I love you all...have a wonderful week, and I hope to see a lot of you on Friday!

Comments