Skip to main content

September 2, 2024 newsletter


Happy Labor Day to all, and “happy” (meteorological) end of the Summer! I'm sorry, to all of you heat-lovers out there, and of course the arrival of Autumn is always bittersweet. But I'm sure we'll have at least a few more beautiful warm days ahead of us. When I think about Labor Day each year, and what it's really all about, it saddens me that so many people in this great, wealthy nation are no longer able to cover all of their own basic expenses by working 40 or 50 hours per week. I know that all of you who read this letter each week understand that, but there are those who don't.

I had a discussion with my hard-working husband this weekend about some of the sadness I feel about this state of affairs. I told him that I was constantly trying to figure out how we at Stone Soup Kitchen could advocate more effectively “upstream”, to help to change the systems that keep the poverty cycle in existence. I further told him that I felt we were just putting a bandage on the problem of food insecurity, and that maybe in some ways were were taking the pressure off of those who are actually in a position to effect that change. He thought for a moment and said, “Cynd, it's like if you're in a leaky boat. Of course you want to go get it fixed as soon as possible, but if you don't bail out the boat in the meantime, someone is going to drown.” He's right. I cried for a while.





Then he gently reminded me that the second half of our mission, not just putting food on tables, but also helping to create community for those we serve was an important part of that upstream work. It's true, and that's why it pains me when someone tells me that they would come and join us for a dinner or an event, but they “don't want to take a spot from someone else who needs it.” This is a fundamental misunderstanding of what we are working to accomplish. Every week I try to share about connections that have been made, wonderful “coincidences” that have occurred. These can't happen without people joining us and sharing space and time with others. For the introverts among us, I feel you, but we have something for everyone and their level of comfort. At SSK, we don't have the ears of presidents and kings, but we do have each other  💕

We are very grateful to the Ayer Police Station for holding the 4th annual food drive for us in August. That is wrapping up now, so please use the bin at Shop n' Save for drop offs if you can't come to see us in person at the pantry. As always, you are invited to leave a note in your bags so that we know whom to thank if you drop them at the store. We'll be at the pantry on Wednesday from 10 to noon, Friday from 4 to 5:30, and Saturday from 9 to noon for drop-offs if you want to come say hi. This week, we are in particular need of 1 or 2 lb bags of rice, canned chicken, large containers of apple juice, and cereal. Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement...I hope to see you soon!

I love you all ~
Cyndi

Comments