Skip to main content

April 29, 2024 newsletter

 


Good morning everyone...Spring has sprung and it's gorgeous all throughout the community. I have to admit that I laughed a decade ago when people in our neighborhood were planting these little sticks that had two or three spindly branches “weeping” off the tops, but now, 10 years later, those sticks have grown into the most beautiful weeping cherry trees, and I am slightly jealous! Spring reminds me each year of how small efforts can grow, things that look hopeless can rebound with new life, and bleak surroundings can burst forth with color.

If you receive this letter from me each week, it's most likely that you would consider yourself to be one of the blessed ones who is on this earth to be a blessing to others. I want to assure you that everything you do to help us to support our neighbors and community is making a big difference. We have been so fortunate to be able to partner with all of you, and so blessed to be able to see the many “coincidences” that come together to get the right things into the right hands at the right time! Our special thanks this week go out to the many cookie bakers, the folks who have stepped forward to help us with recycling and other projects, and the Ayer Police Station, who contacted us for food for some people passing through Ayer who got into a bad way.

Our pantry count for April was alarmingly high. We have had to purchase even more supplemental produce each week to fulfill the need. The most noticeable trend is towards more and more senior households, which really breaks my heart. Our seniors should just not be having to live this way. While I am so happy that our community is supporting us and other pantries, I am once more reminded that there is a great need for those in positions of power to work towards a more equitable society as a whole. I don't have answers, so I usually refrain from talking too much about this and just concentrate on serving those who come to us. But this trend is worrisome. If you happen to be a brilliant sociologist or economist, and you can tell me what Stone Soup Kitchen should do to encourage this societal change, please hit me up!

If you are not a brilliant sociologist or economist, please just donate! lol

If you can shop for us this week, we will gratefully take any food items from our full list that you might find on sale! If you need the list, please let me know. We'll be at the pantry on Wednesday from 10 to noon, Friday from 4 to 5:30, and Saturday from 9 to noon for drop-offs. And the bin is always available at Shop n' Save if those times don't suit. Please leave a note in the bag with your name so we know whom to thank!

I love you all...have a GREAT week!

Comments