Skip to main content

Come and add a stone to our soup bowls!

Sometimes while I'm traveling, I have time to think. Like when I'm stuck in an airport for a few extra hours (not that that EVER happens!) Wanna hear my latest idea? It started with an idea that a lot of charities use, a donor wall. Many of you know that we already have one, although it's hidden! You came and signed the back of one of our pieces of paneling when we were renovating the dining room. Since we are a relational, not transactional organization, we had EVERYONE sign it: guests, donors, volunteers, interested community members...anyone and everyone who wanted to, was welcome to sign. It seems so much less show off-y and more community-minded to make it open to all.

I need to let you all know how much I appreciate you and your support, but I don't want to use food and program funds that YOU donated to buy you all some dumb little token that you don't even want, like pens or mugs or calendars. In fact, I googled “gifts from charities,” and it seems that the only people who think that is a good idea are the companies that sell the dumb little tokens!


So here's my new idea: I'm looking for old-fashioned "soup" bowls at thrift stores and flea markets for our tabletops, and we'll fill them with small smooth stones that everyone can write their name or initials on. Minimum cost, maximum symbolism. Like the wall panel, everyone who wants to take part can, and if you can't make a visit, you can just message me and I'll put your stone in for you. What do you think?  The picture above are the bowls we've already found at West Main Thrift, and the stones below are from Aubuchon in Ayer.  



Comments

  1. I think this is a great idea. I have been thinking lately that I should send you a donation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated.